Sunday, July 6, 2008

How did you celebrate July 4th, Independence Day ?

July 14th is Independence Day in France, equal to our July 4th celebration. A friend invited us for a July 3rd party in the suburbs, at least an hour by car. I answered the invitation with a subtle hint that transport being a problem - my husband won't be driving for a while - I probably wouldn't attend. However, this friend who is forever sending out emails about his activities, never answers others emails or at least mine. So July 4th, hubby and I spent at home. We got a lot done, worked on writing blogs and etc. at the computer. Know what I mean ?

Then July 5th rainy, windy morning weather cast a damp outlook on the big picnic planned by my friend known on the net as "Island Girl". It was decided to wait until early afternoon, say three o'clock, before going to the planned rendezvous. Three pm arrived, I was ready to party but the weather remained overcast and slightly cool. Unfortunately the long ride and the late hour with thoughts of trekking home on the RER train and bus, I chose to stay home with hubby again. Sure, he couldn't even go downstairs for coffee because of the slippery sidewalk. His leg and foot cast has a metal piece on the bottom, practical for resting ones foot but not practical in the rain with his two canes. By four pm however, the sun shone bright enough for a walk around one of my favorite parks, the Roger Salengro, just up the street from our building.

Also stopped into what is euphemistically called, Clichy Plage (Clichy beach) in the stadium across from the park but that's another story. At any rate, the weekend had nothing to do with those remembered holidays back home: hot, sunny, fighting the traffic to get to the beach. Fried chicken, corn, lemonade, or are my souvenirs going back too far ? After all, France has been my home since nineteen-eighty-four. So how did you spend the American Independence Day ?

No comments: