Saturday, August 9, 2008

The French way

What do "French or Foe" by Polly Pratt, "A year in the Merde" by Stephen Clarke and "French Toast" by Harriet Welty Rochefort all have in common? Each one is written by an ex-pat who has lived or is living in France, who dealt or is dealing with the French on a daily basis. Each is written in good fun showing the comic side of the situation. It's a cinch that one should laugh to keep from crying when faced with the ridiculous situations caused by the culture conflict. Having finished these books I'm tempted to write a few of my own experiences as an American alive and living in France.

One of my favorites is the time when shopping for a pair of shoes I spotted a style in the window of a popular store. Carefully noting the style number because the same style came in mid and high heel, I entered the store and in answer to a polite, "May I help you?", gave it to the clerk and then settled on the low stool provided for clients patient enough to wait while the clerks tripped to the storeroom and back. Soon the young lady returned with, to my surprise, the high-heeled version of the style asked for. When I expressed my disappointment and said I'd asked for the mid-heel, she replied, "Madam, you don't understand. You see, your foot is long, size nine. A lower heel would be out of proportion. As the shoe gets longer, the heel gets higher. This is the design."
To which I replied, "That is the most ridiculous..." I couldn't finish my sentence because I began laughing hysterically and had to leave the store.

All jokes aside I wish I'd read these books or something like them before venturing to live in France. It wouldn't have changed the experiences only my way of dealing with them. A friend of mine when confronted with the French illogic, just laughs and says, "It's the French way."

1 comment:

islandgirl4ever2 said...

Wasn't I with you that day?? Or at least I remember you telling me about it, if not.. That's HILARIOUS and RIDICULOUS all at the same time... I worked in a shoe store in NZ for a few months and I would NEVER even think to use a line like that on someone... She was probably out of the lower heel but wanted to sale a pair of shoes, nonetheless... Hehehehehhe....
Miss ya!