Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Weathering the weather

Friends may have noticed my hangup with the temperature. In over twenty years of living in Paris, France, I can count hot summers on ten fingers, maybe less. We all howled in pain during the heatwave a few years back. Elders died and heat prostration overcame some of us, not me, I was in my glory. Knowing that very few apartments and homes in France are air-conditioned and most people don't even have fans is the tip-off. Although since that heatwave, fans are on sale and available but not really necessary this year. Summer is just not hot here.

A friend asked in mid-August, "Do you think it'll warm up again or is Summer over? My answer is no one knows whither the weather but judging by my past experience, I'd say Summer is basically finished by August fifteenth when the vacationers begin winding their way back home, jamming the highways. I've felt humid heat in Manilla & Singapore to name a couple of places that are not lukewarm. And how about Tokyo and Osaka? Consistent heat like I like it: up in the 90s...hallelujah! Last Spring I toured in both cities and the weather approximated Paris' but not so the summer weather. I'm vowing to spend time next summer in Tokyo or Osaka. Kind of far huh?
Maybe I'll go back to Budapest instead.

2 comments:

islandgirl4ever2 said...

I know what you mean, and I can totally relate- me being from So. Cal! It took me longer to get used to the gray weather than the cold weather... because San Diego is usually gray thru winter months but not thru the ENTIRE year!!! However, it's important to not that NOT all of France is crappy like Paris in terms of summer weather, thank God!! I think it's because Paris is just a lot further north... or maybe it's just global warming, who knows?! The south of France and Corsica are different matters in the summer... I think that is why a TON of people head south, like birds, in the summer... just to find some sun and HOT weather!!
Can you just imagine living in a different region- a southern region and have pretty good weather all year, or at least HOT weather ALL through summer... It's stil 28/30 in the south right now...

Manda Djinn said...

I can imagine living in Florida, that's where. When I call my daughter these days - she lives in Tallahassee and that's northern Florida - she says, "Mom, it's 95° in the shade." I've experienced it and I love it! Today I realized once again that I must get to a hot weather place before I expire.